Had the idea of drawing up this list for traveling, so that I could get a feel for the culture of a place and also the campaign struggles the people face. Most are available to stream online so I can learn more before I go or deciding where to go, while others are a local only treat that entice me to go and enjoy while I’m there.
Secondly I was interested to research what vestiges of DIY pirate radio activity and community interest in it remained. To which I’m now aware of a few more projects and forums. As well as info on the still large audiences some pirate shows attract, like Galaxy Radio and Omega Radio drawing in just under 50% of all radio listeners in the Caribbean community of London. These are also shows which advocate many community organizing strategies for dealing with issues related to being part of a low income and immigrant community in the capital city.
Finally I’ve been enjoying lightweight trekking and camping with just the bare minimum kit, where every tool has its purpose. So an mp3 player that can last longer because it only has the function of being able to listen to audio saved on the device and live on the airways just makes practical and environmental sense, while being psychologically comforting to my own head space.
If you have any stories of radical radio shows you’ve heard on your travels, I’d love to read.
Radio Larrakia 94.5FM – Australia – 08-89437949
- Jam Pakt with Jonzy – Darwin – Sat at 8pm
- Breakfast on the River – Bourke – Weekdays at 6am
- Let’s Talk – Brisbane – Weekdays at 9am
MBC Radio – Central Canada – 1.800.668.4003
- Missinipi Dene Honi with Terrie Bekattla – Weekdays at 11am
- Missinipi Chimowen with Charly Durocher – Weekdays
- Missinipi Chimowin with Abel Charles – Weekdays
KNBA 90.3 FM – Alaska
- Native America Calling – Weekdays at 1pm EDT – Most US major cities and many local indigenous stations. – 1-800-99-NATIV
- American Indian Living – Sat at 7am
- National Native News – Weekdays at 9am
Bush Radio – South Africa
- The Morning Cruise with Mkhuseli Veto Weekdays at 9am
- Sakhisizwe – bou die nasie, building the nation with Jasnine Roberts – Weekdays at 12pm
- Connected 2 Jazz – Teu at 8pm
Galaxy Radio – London, UK – +44 20 7193 0174
- Mbuta Anu (Roots Unlimited) – Sat at 12am – 07951705606
- Community Talking (Have Your Say) – Sat at 10am
- Sista Ebony (Interactives) – Sat at 4pm
London Pirate Radio
KPFA 94.1 – California – 1-800-958-9008
Asheville 103.3FM – Eastern US
KBOO 90.7FM – Portland, US
- Labor Radio – Mon at 6pm
- Rose City Native Radio – Thu at 6pm
- Voices for the Animals – Monthly on Mon at 11:30am
CKUT 90.3FM – Montreal, Canada
CFRC 101.9FM – Ontario, Canada
CFRO 100.5FM – Vancouver, Canada
CFRU-FM 93.3 FM – Guelph, Canada – 519-837-CFRU
Welat FM – Northern Syria
- English News by Hiffin Osman
- News bulletin by Joan Young
- Economics Report by Abdul Bari Sayed Yousef
Language is in Kurdi.
Radio Insurgente – Southern Mexico
- 97.9 MHz FM – Zona Altos de Chiapas & Selva Fronteriza
- 89.3 and 100.1 MHz FM – Zona Selva Tzeltal
- 102.1 MHz FM – Zona Norte
- 92.9 MHz FM – Zona Zotz Choj
Language is in Spanish, tzotzil, tzeltal, chol and tojolabal.
Watan FM – Western Syria
Language is in Syrian Arabic.
Radio Nissa – Palestine
- Women in Sports – Hand in Hand
- Qahweh Mzboot (Morning Coffee)
- Fi ‘Oyoun Al Nisaa (Through Women’s Eyes)
Language is in Palestinian Arabic.
Irratia 97FM – Bilbao, Basque Country
Language is in Euskara.
Radio Libertaire 89.4 FM – Paris, France
Language is in French.
Greek Pirate Radio
- Radio zones of Subversive Expression 98FM – Athens
- 1431AM 97.3 FM – Theslonika
- 105.1FM – Mytilene, Lesvos
Language is in Greek.
Radio Patapoe – Amsterdam, Netherlands
Language is in Dutch.
Radio Orange 94.0 – Austria
Language is in German.
Radio Student FM 89.3 – Slovenian
- Črna Luknja – Every other Thu at 12pm
- Klopca pod svobodnim – Fri at 6pm
- A pure legal pirate – Sun at 10:15am
Language is in Slovenian.